Network of Organic Agriculture Researchers in Africa
During the 2nd African Organic Conference held in Lusaka, Zambia in May 2012, a side event brought together participants from almost all regions of Africa and Europe to discuss how to develop organic agriculture research agenda.
• Research was underscored as a critical component of any initiative designed to promote ecologically sustainable development of agriculture in Africa.
• The forum recommended the formation of a multistakeholder and multi‐level perspective to research development and implementation.
NOARA shall be operated as a charitable not-for-profit organisation with a mandate limited to the objectives set in her constitution.
Network of Organic Agriculture Researchers in Africa is a membership Network that draws members from national, regional and continental organic agriculture organizations, associations, networks and companies in Africa. Eligible members are; Organic farmers, agricultural organizations/firms, association, researchers, agro-processors, marketers, consumers, network or company/individual of good and ethical standing, in the organic agriculture sector, with operations in Africa or abroad who may become a member of AfrONet, provided they are prepared and able to support the objectives of the Network directly or indirectly.
The current NOARA Board are AfrONet board members until the next general assembly. The Board consists of twelve members plus one co-opted member for a new Section on Food Quality. The Executive Board has three members, plus the General Secretary:
Vision – Africa with zero hunger, poverty eradicated, improved livelihood and sustained ecosystem through innovative organic agriculture research.
Mission -To establish and disseminate evidence-based scientific organic agricultural knowledge that can ensure healthy, ecological, fairness and care of organic agriculture actors in Africa for sustainable livelihood and ecosystem, leading to food security and sustainable development
Research and Training
– Lead research agenda on organic and ecological agriculture in Africa
– Coordinate organic and ecological agriculture training and research in Africa
– Support or initiate research activities that contribute to the social, cultural and economic productivity of Africa’s smallholder farmers, processors and marketers, particularly, women and youths who have been largely marginalized
Policy and Stakeholder Engagements
– Promote collaboration among organic and ecological agriculture researchers, practitioners, farmers and policy makers in Africa
– Improvement of ecological organic agriculture database for influencing policy development in Africa
– Advocate for mainstreaming of organic and ecological agriculture into agricultural research and innovation to enhance food security in Africa
– Engage organizations producing organic and ecological inputs in confirmatory and adaptive research for possible recommendation of their products to end users in Africa and beyond.
Conferences and Information Dissemination
– Organize conferences and meetings for the exchange of information on organic and ecological agriculture
– Publish research and technical results on organic and ecological agriculture
Membership is open to all interested agricultural researchers, farmers, marketers, agro-processors, policy makers, postgraduate students, cooperate organizations, consumers and willing individuals.
|Type of membership||Registration Fee (USD)||Annual Dues (USD)|
Our Model Approach
Individual researchers, group of researchers, or member organizations embark on research(es) their areas of interest(s) in ecological organic agriculture.
Report of research findings in the form of articles is submitted for onward review by fellow researchers and faculties.
Report of research is reviewed by fellow organic agriculture researchers for validation or otherwise.
Validated report is published in the African Journal of Organic Agriculture and Ecology; a biennial publication and the information is disseminated for onward application by researchers and practitioners alike.
Committed to a healthy, Safe, Secured, and Susutainable Africa
We are a a network of Organic farmers, agricultural organizations/firms, association, researchers, agro-processors, marketers, consumers, network or company/individual of good and ethical standing, in the organic agriculture sector, with operations in Africa